PHS soccer rolls following loss

Mike ErwinJournal-Capital

Pawhuska High School’s Lady Huskies soccer team experienced the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat last week, but not in that order.

After having their five-match winning streak snapped by a 2-1 Tuesday loss to the Miami Lady Wardogs, the Lady Huskies redirected their frustrations for Thursday’s 10-point victory over another district foe, the Tulsa Webster Lady Warriors.

Following a temporary fall from grace in the oops-like district defeat, it was kind of like an old-fashioned, down-home revival.

PHS senior Genie Herren scored four goals in the Thursday night blowout, including the first two — which came five and 24 minutes into the contest. The second of Herren’s goals heralded an offensive surge that carried the Lady Huskies to a 7-0 halftime lead.

Samantha Lookout, a junior, put in the third Pawhuska goal off a corner kick 13 minutes before the break. Five minutes later, freshman Alyssa Fanning made it a 4-0 Lady Huskie lead. Senior Sarah Phillippi scored next, right before Herren’s third goal of the night stretched the home team’s lead to six. The seventh (and final) goal of the half was by sophomore Jordan Kitchell. It, too, was set up by a corner kick.

“Jordan’s goal was very similar to the one by Samantha,” PHS coach Giovanie Soliano said.

Herren started the second-half scoring of the Lady Huskies with a goal in minute No. 17. Three minutes later, senior Stephanie Clifton scored to push the Pawhuska lead to 9-0. Danae Laird, the home squad’s strong-legged senior defender, ended the match by making with the 10th goal of the night with seven minutes remaining. Sophomore goalkeeper Star Sweeden earned her fourth shutout of the year without ever being seriously challenged by the Lady Warriors.

In Tuesday’s home loss to Miami, Lady Huskie senior Karissa Hughes scored the lone goal of the first half with two minutes, 17 seconds left on the clock. The Lady Huskies tied the match with a goal 10 minutes into the second half. Approximately 24 minutes later, Miami was awarded a penalty kick as a result of illegal contact in the box. The Lady Wardog shooter took advantage by blasting a goal past PHS goalkeeper Jordan Kitchell for a 2-1 Miami advantage with only six minutes, 37 seconds left in the match.

Pawhuska managed several other shots on goal, but the last serious threat — off a Sarah Phillippi free kick with just over two minutes remaining — was caught in front of the goal by the visiting goalkeeper.

The Lady Huskies (5-2 overall and 1-1 in District 4A-8) are facing two district road matches this week. They were headed for a first-ever soccer meeting with Claremore Sequoyah on Tuesday before travelling to Commerce for a 6 p.m. match Thursday. Sequoyah is 1-1 in district matches and 2-4 overall, while Commerce is 0-3 and 1-6.