Drummonds purchase second downtown Pawhuska building
Ladd and Ree Drummond are acquiring a second historic building in downtown Pawhuska.
According to documents filed late last month at the Osage County Courthouse, the Drummonds have agreed to purchase the former J.C. Penney building at 540 Kihekah Ave. — approximately three doors north of the former Osage Mercantile Building they’ve been renovating at the corner of Kihekah and Main Street.
The latest acquisition was, until recently, being operated as Premier Gun and Pawn. Following its purchase in late 2012 by John and Debbie Long, the 1922-vintage building underwent some renovations before being opened as a pawn/gun shop the following year. Although advertisements on the building generally included the shop merchandise, the sale to the Drummonds apparently involved only the three-story structure. (As of Monday evening, the pawn shop stock appeared to still be on the premises, however.)
Recently, broadcast reports suggested that the Drummonds might be opening a deli inside the former Osage Mercantile Building later this year. While the deli has been rumored ever since the building renovation began in spring 2012, there apparently has been no recent information on Ree Drummond’s Pioneer Woman blog to support the latest deli rumors.
Mrs. Drummond, as a blogger, has written extensively about the original building’s renovations. Thus far, no plans have been revealed about the couple’s latest acquisition.
In addition to her creating one of the web’s foremost blog sites, Mrs. Drummond has authored books on cooking, as well as about her life. A line of children’s books feature’s one of the family dogs. She also can be seen on the Food Network and at least part of her cooking show is filmed on the family’s ranch property west of town. Last year, Walmart released a line of Ree Drummond cookware.
In addition to being home to the Osage Mercantile Co. since shortly after Oklahoma statehood, the corner building being renovated by the Drummonds had formerly been occupied by CR Anthony and a Dollar General store. The building was originally constructed in 1910.