Court-appointed counsel granted to Reece brothers facing murder charges

Mike ErwinJournal-Capital

Court-appointed counsel was granted last week for two Pawhuska brothers facing first-degree murder charges.

Jeremy Keith Reece, 31, and Tyler Wayne Reece, 18, are charged in connection with the Sept. 5 slaying of longtime Pawhuska-area resident Rick Holt.

Associate District Judge Stuart Tate sustained the applications for counsel that had been submitted by the Reeces. One of the attorneys from the Oklahoma Indigent Defense Service — either Bo Estes or Rod Ramsey — is expected represent the each of the brothers at their next court appearances, scheduled for 9 a.m. on Friday.

During Thursday’s proceedings, Tyler Reece was called before the judge immediately after Jeremy Reece. There did not appear to have been any communication between the two.

Craig Reece, their father, was present in Tate’s third-room courtroom for the two brothers’ appearances before the judge and exited shortly after their sessions were concluded.

About a dozen other Osage County Jail prisoners submitted applications for free legal aid during video court appearances Thursday afternoon. The judge asked each of the applicants if any of their friends or relatives might help them to obtain private counsel. Tate asked all of the applicants, separately, if they had any personal assets with which to hire their own lawyer.

All of the prisoners told the judge that they had no financial means with which to obtain an attorney. Each of the applications was approved. Tate told them their appointed counsel would meet with them just prior to their next court appearances.

In addition to murder, Jeremy and Tyler Reece also are charged with kidnapping, conspiracy to commit a felony and desecration of a human corpse. Both of the brothers are being held without bond.

Holt, a 46-year-old rancher/oilman, was last seen alive early Saturday morning (Sept. 5) after he left a local country club en route to his home south of town. He was reported missing on Sept. 8, a day before his body was found buried on a remote oil lease northwest of Hominy.

Ann Reece, the mother of the two brothers, has been named on an accessory after the fact charge. She is currently free on a $5,000 bond.