‘Boxtrolls’opens; Denzel Washington is ‘The Equalizer’
The following movies will be playing Friday through Thursday at Movies Stadium 8, located in the Washington Park Mall in Bartlesville. For show times, call 918-335-3633.
• The Equalizer — A man believes he has put his mysterious past behind him and has dedicated himself to beginning a new, quiet life. But when he meets a young girl under the control of ultra-violent Russian gangsters, he can’t stand idly by — he has to help her. Stars Denzel Washington, Chloe Grace. Rated R.
• The Boxtrolls (2D and 3D) — A young orphaned boy raised by underground cave-dwelling trash collectors tries to save his friends from an evil exterminator. Based on the children’s novel “Here Be Monsters” by Alan Snow. Voices of Ben Kingsley, Jared Harris, Nick Frost. Rated PG.
• The Maze Runner — Thomas is deposited in a community of boys after his memory is erased, soon learning they’re all trapped in a maze that will require him to join forces with fellow “runners” for a shot at escape. Stars Dylan O’Brien, Kaya Scodelario, Will Poulter. Rated PG-13.
• This is Where I Leave You — When their father passes away, four grown siblings are forced to return to their childhood home and live under the same roof together for a week, along with their over-sharing mother and an assortment of spouses, exes and might-have-beens. Stars Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, Jane Fonda. Rated R.
• A Walk Among the Tombstones — Private investigator Matthew Scudder is hired by a drug kingpin to find out who kidnapped and murdered his wife. Stars Liam Neeson, Dan Stevens. Rated R.
• Dolphin Tale 2 — The team of people who saved Winter’s life reassemble in the wake of her surrogate mother’s passing in order to find her a companion so she can remain at the Clearwater Marine Hospital. Stars Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd, Nathan Gamble. Rated PG.
• When the Game Stands Tall — The journey of legendary football coach Bob Ladouceur, who took the De La Salle High School Spartans from obscurity to a 151-game winning streak that shattered all records for any American sport. Stars Jim Caviezel, Alexander Ludwig. Rated PG.
• Guardians of the Galaxy (2D and 3D) — In the far reaches of space, an American pilot named Peter Quill finds himself the object of a manhunt after stealing an orb coveted by the villainous Ronan. Stars Chris Pratt, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper. Rated PG-13.
The following movies will be playing Friday through Thursday at the Eastland Four discount movies. For show times, call 918-333-3222.
• Hercules — Having endured his legendary twelve labors, Hercules, the Greek demigod, has his life as a sword-for-hire tested when the King of Thrace and his daughter seek his aid in defeating a tyrannical warlord. Stars Dwayne Johnson, John Hurt, Ian McShane. Rated PG-13.
• How to Train Your Dragon 2 — When Hiccup and Toothless discover an ice cave that is home to hundreds of new wild dragons and the mysterious Dragon Rider, the two friends find themselves at the center of a battle to protect the peace. Voices of Jay Baruchel, Cate Blanchett, Gerard Butler. Rated PG.
• Earth to Echo — After receiving a bizarre series of encrypted messages, a group of kids embark on an adventure with an alien who needs their help. Stars Teo Halm, Astro, Reese Hartwig. Rated PG.
• Million Dollar Arm — A sports agent stages an unconventional recruitment strategy to get talented Indian cricket players to play Major League Baseball. Stars Jon Hamm, Aasif Mandvi, Alan Arkin. Rated PG.
• Maleficent — A vengeful fairy is driven to curse an infant princess, only to discover that the child may be the one person who can restore peace to their troubled land. Stars Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning. Rated PG.