The Pawhuska High School boy’s basketball team headed into the second week of the season with a 1-1 record.

The Huskies lost the season opener to Wesleyan Christian, but pulled off a stunning double overtime victory over Pawnee Friday night. Both games were at Oren Terrill Fieldhouse.

The Huskies are on the road this week. They played Woodland Tuesday night. See the Pawhuska Journal-Capital’s website for the game report, and travel to the Agra Tournament on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. A bracket for the Agra tournament was unavailable at presstime.

Pawhuska 75, Pawnee 65

ESPN often labels great games as instant classics, and replays those games several times in the next few weeks. The Pawhuska and Pawnee high school boys basketball teams played an instant classic Friday night at Oren Terrill Fieldhouse.

It was one of those games that will be discussed over coffee or soft drinks for years to come, and Braydon Wilson’s 3-pointer as time expired to force a second overtime is the stuff that legends are made of.

The game would be an instant classic if the Huskies had lost, but Pawhuska rallied in the second overtime to post a 75-68 victory over Pawnee.

Huskies Coach Jake Christenson called it a huge win.

“We play so many young guys,” Christenson said after the game. “For them to find a way to get into two overtimes and win is important. It’s not just a Pawnee thing. Pawnee has had our number for a long time. We got better. We grew up tonight.

Where do you start in a game that had everything.

Wilson’s shot seems logical.

Pawnee led 63-60 with 3.8 seconds left in the first OT. Pawhuska inbounded the ball, advancing across the half-court line. The referee stopped play because the clock hadn’t started. After a few minutes of discussion, the referees gave Pawhuska the ball in the forecourt with just 2 seconds on the clock. Wilson threw the ball into Easton Kirk who took two dribbles and tossed the ball to Wilson who launched a 3-pointer. The horn sounded with the ball in flight. If it didn’t go in, Pawnee would win. Wilson’s shot kissed the backboard and dropped through the bucket.

The home crowd erupted into cheers, and a second overtime was on its way.

The Huskies outscored the Black Bears 12-5 in the second overtime to post their first win of the season. Huskies’ Evan Frye did most of the damage in the second overtime, scoring two buckets and connecting on 2 of 4 free throws. Easton Kirk added a bucket. Wilson connected on two free throws as did Matthew Miles.

Frye, who struggled slightly with short shots in the season opener Tuesday, found his shooting touch against Pawnee. He finished with a game high 30 points. He scored 8 of the Huskies 10 points in the second quarter and added 10 points in the third quarter to help the Huskies stay in touch with the Black Bears in those stanzas. The Huskies trailed 21-19 at halftime and 40-38 after 3 periods.

The fourth quarter belonged to Kirk, who went 7 of 8 from the charity stripe, and Wilson who hit two buckets, a 3-pointer and foul shot. The game was tied 56-all at the end of regulation.

Frye finished the game with 16 points, while Wilson added 19.

Wesleyan Christian 62, Pawhuska 58

The bounces didn’t go Pawhuska’s way against Wesleyan Christian School.

The Mustangs used 3-pointers to edge the Huskies, 62-58, at Oren Terrill Field House. However, the outcome would have been different if the Huskies had made a half-dozen or so uncontested layups that rattled around the rim and lipped out.

“We missed a ton of shots from 2-foot out,” Christenson said. “That’s not a talent problem. It’s a first-game of the year jitters thing. We are going to be fine.”

The Mustangs pumped through six 3-pointers in the second quarter to take a 31-22 lead into halftime. Kaehl Smith hit two 3’s, and Seth Thomas, Austin Cobb, Desmond Thompson and Micah Owens each pumped in a trey.

The Huskies rallied in the third period, outscoring the Mustangs 22 to 9, to take a 45-40 lead into the final quarter. PHS’s Braydon Wilson lead the Huskies scoring barrage with 11 points, including a 3-pointer, in the third.

In the final stanza, the Mustangs found the range from 3-point land. Cobb, Jerrill Martin, Thompson and Smith all made treys. The score was close throughout the fourth. Wesleyan Christian had a 60-58 advantage with 8.7 seconds left.