Whether you call them cantaloupes or muskmelons, it’s hard to know if you’ve picked a winner until you actually cut into the flesh and have a taste. You can discover the outer signs that juicy, flavorful cantaloupe awaits thanks to these handy tips from the Wisconsin Farmers Market Association.
• Gauge the weight of the melon. It should have some heft for its size.
• When cantaloupes ripen, the vine separates from the melon, leaving behind a small circular indentation. Stem remnants and tearing are signs the melon was picked too early.
• Check the blossom end. It should have a fragrance and some give when you press on it.
• The surface of the cantaloupe should have a raised netting with a dull yellow background.
• When thumped, it should sound hollow. Avoid melons with dents, cuts and cracks.
The perfect sauce recipe for summer
Use this tasty sauce from www.uncorked.com to enhance all your favorite summer recipes.
Citrus Basil Sauce
Makes about 2/3 cup
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh orange zest (optional)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Place the orange juice, lemon or lime juice, orange zest, if using, garlic, olive oil, and basil in a small bowl or plastic container and mix well.
This homemade frozen treat is safe for dogs
This summer, whip up a batch of these homemade frozen dog-safe treats, courtesy of the Humane Society of the United States.
Peanut Butter Pup-sicles
1 cup peanut butter, preferably unsalted and unsweetened. (Check the label to make sure it doesn’t contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs.)
Half a ripe banana, mashed
In a small mixing bowl, combine peanut butter and mashed banana, adding water if needed.
Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Spoon the mixture onto the tray just like you would cookie dough.
Or, take Kong-style toys and spoon the mixture into the cavities.
Freeze the tray or toys for several hours or overnight, then store the individual pucks or toys in a large zip-close freezer bag.